The rock industry was stunned last week when we learned that music legend Prince had died unexpectedly.
He was just 57 years old.
Even if you weren’t a fan of Prince and his hits like “Purple Rain” and “Little Red Corvette,” you have to give him a lot of credit – he survived nearly 40 years in the music business.
But while Prince’s career was unique, unfortunately, his cause of death may not have been.
Because we’re learning that Prince may have been the latest victim of a dangerous, and widely prescribed class of drugs.
One that’s still a very big danger to you and the people you care about.
In just the past few months, we’ve lost two rock legends – and certainly countless other people whose names and stories we’ll never know about.
And it looks like Big Pharma and their dangerous meds are to blame.
In January I told you about the death of Eagles singer Glenn Frey, and how his manager was certain that rheumatoid arthritis drugs killed him. You see, these meds work by suppressing your immune system, which can leave you vulnerable to a life-threatening infection – like the one that ended Frey’s life.
And now it’s starting to look like we can add Prince to the Big Pharma hit list.
You see, despite all the stereotypes about rock stars and drug use, Prince was like a lot of other folks nearing their 60s who have lived physically demanding lifestyles.
He was reportedly taking Percocet (oxycodone) to help treat an incredibly painful hip – and it may have played a role in his death.
And as authorities investigate what killed Prince, they’re supposedly taking a good, hard look at Percocet.
Reports have surfaced that just a few days before he died, Prince overdosed on Percocet (which is incredibly easy to do) and needed emergency medical care to save his life.
And while it’s sad to think that Prince’s life and career ended too soon, there are thousands of men and women who will never get to kiss their spouses or hug their grandkids again because of these drugs.
Percocet is part of a dangerous class of meds I’ve been warning you about for years called opioid painkillers. They include pills like OxyContin, Percodan, and Vicodin that are being handed out like Halloween candy to people in pain.
And they’re killing so many people, it’s become a national epidemic.
Nearly 20,000 Americans a year are dying from opioid overdoses, which is four times as many as we were seeing in 1999. Aside from the damage these pills can do to everything from your heart to your liver, they’re also incredibly addictive and hard to quit.
But that doesn’t seem to be stopping the mainstream from prescribing them one bit.
Even if opioids don’t kill you, they’ve been linked to a horrifying list of side effects that includes:
- Breathing problems,
- Severe constipation,
- Nausea and vomiting,
- And even dementia!
Even worse, just a few years ago the FDA hosted a meeting of top experts who admitted that opioids may be useless for treating lots of long-term pain.
That means you could be risking your health – or even your life – for absolutely nothing.
If you’re taking opioids for chronic pain, it’s time to talk with your doctor about weaning you off the meds. There are lots of natural treatments like curcumin or even acupuncture that can control inflammation and help manage pain.
It’s a shame that more doctors don’t start with these safer treatments before handing out dangerous and addictive drugs.
Because Prince’s death reminds us that there is a much larger problem with these opioid painkillers. And it’s one we all need to take seriously before there are any more victims.
Prince’s reported painkiller uses call attention to the opioid crisis” Kyle Jaeger, April 22, 2016, attn:, attn.com