High fructose corn syrup goes by many names -- all designed to avoid those four dreaded words

An HSI member named Noel wants to know… What’s in a name?

Noel writes, “On some frozen fruit juices, listed as a sweetener is corn syrup, not high fructose corn syrup. Is there any difference?”

Great question, Noel. And the easy answer is, “No.”

The Corn Refiners Association tried to change the name of HFCS to “corn sugar.” The FDA said “No way.” (A rare good call from the agency.)

But that doesn’t stop food producers from using other names. Anything to avoid those four dreaded words!

In addition to “corn syrup,” you might find names like these…

* Maize syrup

* Glucose syrup

* Glucose/fructose syrup

* Tapioca syrup

* Dahlia syrup

* Fruit fructose

* Crystalline fructose

In Canada, they call it “glucose-fructose.” And in Europe, it’s “isoglucose.” And I’m sure there are more.

If the label doesn’t say “sugar” or “cane sugar,” you can be pretty sure it’s some form of HFCS.

Get urgent health alerts, warnings and insights delivered straight to your inbox