Skip to content, navigation or search.


Find a Cure

Search our online library:

Find a Doc

Find a doctor who practices alternative, natural or complementary medicine in your state! Click here to get started.

Warn young people about acetaminophen dangers

Warn young people about acetaminophen dangers

She was 19 – bright, talented, and an excellent student. But she made a fatal mistake.

After exceeding the recommended dosage of Extra Strength Tylenol for three weeks to relieve toothache pain, Oklahoma University coed Madalyn Byrne died late last month when her liver failed due to acetaminophen toxicity.

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon story. Young people out on their own for the first time are typically unaware of the potential danger in exceeding the recommended dosage of acetaminophen – a painkiller that’s so common and seemingly benign they might never read warnings posted on the product packaging.

A few of years ago I told you about a similar tragedy with a 23-year-old Philadelphia man named Marcus Trunk who began taking a prescription drug that contained acetaminophen to treat a sprained wrist. When he developed flu-like symptoms, emergency room doctors gave him further doses of acetaminophen. Within a few days, Marcus died of liver failure caused by acetaminophen overdose.

If you have children or grandchildren who are young adults just starting their lives away from home, don’t assume they’re reading precautions on common over-the-counter medications. Warn them that even the most familiar drugs are potentially dangerous.

In addition, coffee intake has been shown to increase the formation of a toxic metabolite of acetaminophen. It might take quite a bit of coffee to prompt such a reaction, but if someone such as Madalyn is on the verge of acetaminophen overdose, a double-espresso eye-opener on the way to an early class might be all it takes to push past the toxic limit.

You can find information about an effective natural antidote for acetaminophen poisoning in the e-Alert “Safety Measured” (12/29/05), at this link: http://www.hsionline.com/ealerts/ea200512/ea20051229.html

Source:
“OU Sophomore Dies of Acetaminophen Overdose” Andrew W. Griffin, The Norman Transcript, 2/28/08, normantranscript.com



Health Disclaimer! The information provided on this site should not be construed as personal medical advice or instruction. No action should be taken based solely on the contents of this site. Readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. The information and opinions provided here are believed to be accurate and sound, based on the best judgment available to the authors, but readers who fail to consult appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. The publisher is not responsible for errors or omissions.